Why Hijab Conjecture is Pointless
What Not to Write: More on Bad Veil Headlines
The above article from Muslimah Mediawatch is by far one of the most accurate descriptions of the often misunderstood purpose of the hijab (known to many as “the veil”). Never have I seen such a piece of fabric become such a point of political bias, ideological conjecture and pontification.
Mind your damn business—women who choose to wear the hijab are not oppressed and juxtaposing independence with the “oppresive” veil (as if they are complete opposites) is by far one of the biggest narrative fallacies out there.
Other posts in this series
- A Pin Has Fallen in the Universe (April 22, 2010)
- An Open Letter to the Terrorists (May 6, 2010)
- Why Hijab Conjecture is Pointless (This post) (July 22, 2010)
- 13 Things About Muslims You 'Prolly Didn't Know (August 11, 2010)
- How I Became Muslim (October 16, 2010)
- Why I drink.... (December 27, 2010)
- Open Letter: The Color Line Inside the Masjid (March 1, 2011)
- Confessions of a God Believing Man (July 6, 2011)
You might also like this: